Saturday, January 5, 2013

Homemade Egg Noodles

I watched and helped my grandma and mother make noodles for years. But, they never used a recipe and never talked about what they put in them. I was the basic gopher and noodle tray holder. On several occasions I got to cut some of the noodles.

When it came time for me to make noodles on my own I was scared to death. First few times they weren't to bad but they could of been better. Some twelve years ago I found an awesome little cookbook and it has some great recipes in it. One of which is the egg noodles I'm about to share. Thank you Better Homes and Gardens for putting out great cookbooks such as the paperback I own.

Homemade Egg Noodles

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten ( normally use farm fresh eggs brown eggs are best)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon cooking oil or olive oil

In a large mixing bowl stir together flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. In a bowl combine eggs, water and oil. Add to flour mixture; mix well.

Sprinkle kneading surface with 1/4 cup of flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead till dough is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Cover and let rest 10 minutes. 

Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface roll each fourth into a 12x12 inch square (about 1/16th inch thick). Cut with a pizza cutter as desired.

Note- I prefer my noodles thicker so I say roll out to desired thickness. 
I do believe my Grandma Covey would probably tell me I did it all wrong with the thickness but to each their own. I'm glad I have the memories of going to her house and making noodles with her. 

~ Farmgirl


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. They look great! How long to cook 10-12 mins ??
    Can I dehydrate and store????
    I want to try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that 10 to 12 minutes is about right for cooking. Just keep in mind that it depends on how thick/thin you roll them out too. I like mine like little "pillows" so they will take a few more minutes to cook than normal.

      I usually just dry them and after that put in freezer bag and freeze.

      Delete
    2. They look great. Would you share your recipe for the chicken and noodles pictured? Thanks, Missy

      Delete