Monday, May 27, 2013

Beer-Brined Chicken


I had some friends come in from Virginia this weekend and not just any recipe would do for grilling chicken for them. I had to break out one of the best I have learned to make. This is one of my favorite go-to recipes when making chicken on the the grill. The chicken comes out so tender and pretty juicy. I made it this time with chicken breasts (wont be as juicy as the thighs) but its great with thigh meat also.

It's great severed up with many different sides. This time I paired it with corn on the cob and a nice hearty salad and my friend had brought up a carrot cake with walnuts and pineapple. It was so so delish. I'm still trying to figure out how she knew that I LOVED carrot cake.

Brine:
2 cups water
1/4 cup kosher (coarse) salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
4 (12 oz) bottles beer, chilled
2 cut-up whole chickens (3 to 31/2 lbs each) (for this recipe I used 6 lbs of chicken breasts)

Barbecue Rub:
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup vegetable oil (for brushing on chicken while on the grill)

In a 6 to 8 quart noncorrosive (stainless steel, enamel-coated or plastic or  large ziploc bag) container or stockpot, mix water, kosher salt and brown sugar, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in beer ( it will foam some). Add chicken. Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Line 15x10 inch pan with sides with paper towel. Remove chicken from brine; rinse thoroughly under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine. Place chicken in pan. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix all rub ingredients except oil; set aside.

Heat gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking. Brush oil over chicken; sprinkle rub mixture over chicken.For two burner gas grill, heat one burner to medium; place chicken on unheated side. For one- burner gas grill, place chicken on grill over low heat. For charcoal grill, move medium coals to edge of firebox; place chicken over drip pan. Cover grill; cook 15 minutes.

Turn chicken over; cover grill and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer, turning occasionally, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170 degrees for breasts; 180 degrees for thighs and drumsticks).

Makes 8 servings

Note: The picture above I dredged my chicken in the rub. I like it the rub on pretty thick. So if your like me you may want to make double or triple rub.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment