Thursday, May 2, 2013

Homemade Orange Jelly

This recipe is one I found on another blog and I was thrilled to have found it. During the summer months when I'm grilling out, I use a lot of orange marmalade when making my rib sauce. I've never been a huge fan of the marmalade but loved the flavor. Now, with this orange jelly I can use it as a substitute. Which makes me one happy girl. It works out great also.

I've mainly made freezer jams since I started canning on my own. It's only been about 4 years that I've been experimenting with making different jams and jellies for the shelf. This is one that I'm happy to make every fall when the FFA citrus fruits come in. I hope that you enjoy this jelly just as much as I do.


3 1/2 cups  freshly squeezed orange juice (approx. 8-10 medium to large ripe oranges)
1  box (1 3/4 oz)  pectin
5 cup sugar

Juice oranges the old fashioned way with a juicer and some elbow grease. Strain the juice with a cheesecloth, paper towel or coffee filters. This step makes your jelly clearer and prettier. In my opinion.

Pour the juice into a large pot, add the pectin packet and 1/4 cup of your 5 cups of sugar. Bring to a rolling boil, then add the remaining sugar. Return to a rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Skim off any foam. (**Note- As one of my friends pointed out to me because i forgot naturally, you can add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp butter then bring the mixture to a boil, this will reduce and sometime eliminate the foaming.)

Ladle jelly into sterilized jars. Clean rim and place sterilized lids on jars, tighten the rings over the flat lids. Process in a boiling hot water bath for 5 minutes. Remove from BWB and let sit on towel for 24 hours for the jelly to set up.

Happy Canning

~ Farm Girl

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Just wondering how many jars the orange jelly recipe makes? Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to try this one! I made plum jelly, first time ever, last year and it didnt set up. Not sure what I did but I will give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made it with navel oranges I grew in my yard. Turned out awesome! Best tasting jelly recipe I've tried yet. I will be making this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea. Due to dietary issues, I can't ingest orange peel. I love marmalade and thought I'd just have to do without. I never even thought of making orange jelly. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing....Think I might try it for our orange chicken :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this recipe twice and I absolutely love it. I add lots of orange zest. The newest batch I am making I simmered whole cranberries separately with cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger. After straining out skins, I added to the orange mixture. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds super delush. I love cranberries. Pease let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. That sounds super delush. I love cranberries. Pease let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  7. Ive also made tangerine jelly this way witj those yummy 'cuties'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this recipe for the second time today! I made some a year ago and loved it! A friend brought us a bunch of oranges so we ended up with 10 jars this time around (varying between quarts, pints, and half pints). I still have a bunch more, but that will be for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete